Balloons are attracted by all children. It is very useful to show tricks and scientific experiments. By using these tricks and innovative experiments , we can link the subjects. This study is a search for Role of Balloons in co-relating science subjects.
There are so many low cost crafts we can made using Balloons. Each and everyone will work with some scientific principles. To make science study simple and fascinating, these rubber bubbles helps a lot.
Balloon tricks, Balloons and craft, Chemistry of Balloon, Balloon Mechanics, Sound of Balloon, Magic with Balloons, Balloon Biology etc are the branches we can have using the Balloons.
Linking of science study from -2 to +2 is easy with the help of Balloons. Here is the journey of twenty- twenty experiments with Balloons which ranges from the structure of the Atom Model to Expansion of the Universe.
Project - Balloon Tricks
Project - Balloon Tricks
20-20 experiments Using Balloon
- Sound: Sound is formed due to vibration.We can make different sounds using inflated balloon. Blast make another sound. A Music Instrument can be made using a balloon strip, balloon, film bottle and sketch pen.
- Boyle's Law: Inflate a balloon and tied it. Pressing the balloon with hands, its size decreases, that is the volume decreases. As a result the inside pressure increases and it blast. Pressure and Volume are inversely proportional at constant temperature. This is Boyle's law.Take very small inflated balloon. Place it inside a large syringe. Pressing and pulling the piston, The size of the balloon changes, depends upon the pressure changes.
- Charles Law: Inflate a balloon and tied it and place it in the sunlight. It get blast. The reason is as the temperature increases, pressure also increases. This is Charles's law.
- Newton's third law of motion: The principle of rocket is based on this. We can make a balloon rocket using balloon, thread, straw and a pen-nozzle.Take a long thread tied it a height. Allow a straw to pass through the thread.Fix an inflated balloon on the straw with cello tape. In the mouth of the balloon tied a nozzle (the neck of a ball pen) to control the air flow.
- Hovercraft: It is a vehicle which can travel through land and sea. With the help of an old CD, stopper and balloon, a hovercraft can be made. This is also work with the principle of Newton's third law.
- Motorcyclist in a Globe: For the circular motion, centripetal force - the force acting on the body from the center is needed. The motor cyclist revolving round in a globe get this centripetal force from the repulsive from the surface of the globe. This situation can be created using a coin revolving round the inner surface of an inflated balloon.
- Centre of Gravity: The point at which entire mass of the body is concentrated is known as center of gravity. For stable equilibrium, the position of the center of gravity must be low. A small ball inside a slight long balloon show different equilibrium positions.
- Tanjavur Doll: With the help of two balloons and a small coin, Tanjore doll can be made.
- Heating the Balloon: Heat a water filled balloon with a candle. The water get heated with out breaking the balloon. This shows the transfer of heat.
- Pascal's Law: Put small holes on a water filled balloon, pressing one end the water will flow through all holes, this shows the Pascal's law.
- Opened Balloon: Take a pet bottle and place a balloon. If we inflate the balloon, it will not inflate. If we put a hole on the bottle and inflate the balloon, the balloon inflate inside the bottle. If we press the hole with finger, we can sea an open balloon inside the bottle. This shows the strength of the atmospheric pressure.
4th National Teachers Science CongressTitle: Role of Science Club tostrengthening Environment Education.Author – CK Biju, SNV Sanskrit HSS, N Paravur, Ernakulam Dt, keralaAbstractIn the new constructive class room and learning process, the science clubs in each school act an important role in transacting environment education. The activities of our science club are one example. Four major activities are listed below.Teaching aid camp for teachers and students, using environment friendly materials, and recycling or reusing other materials. Doing projects, relating the protection and preservation of environment and biodiversity. Cleaning the campus and other public places for avoid disease. Planning and planting trees for the protection of the environment.Using Environment friendly materials in the daily life and make awareness about it.The Science ClubIt is a group of children and teachers to make awareness about science and science related activities. The science club plays an important role in the formation of scientific awareness and temper among the school children. It helps to make scientific thought and need for science in society in a scientific way. Here the actions of our science club to make environment education are given.Teaching Aids from the environmentWe can make a lot of teaching-learning aids with low cost or no cost from the environment. Card board, paper, paper plate, leaves of plants and trees. The seeds and the other parts of a plant can be used as a teaching aid. A lot of experiments in the science can be done using the environment friendly objects.Used items and recycled things can also be used as teaching aids which cover all the scientific properties. The straws, used cups, bottles etc can be used as a teaching aid. The camps or workshops for the children and teachers make them awareness about environment.Projects related to environmentThe science projects and other activities make them interest in nature and environment. The members of the science club are actively participating in the Children Science Congress by doing the projects. The last years project was about mangrove forest and it protection. Now this year the members are planning to do the projects about pokkali rice and prawn farming. These activities help them to make an awareness about Environment.Cleaning the campus and Planting the treesThe members of the science club are vigilant in cleaning the campus. Each student and their class group have responsibility to clean their campus. The achievements are cleaning every class, cleaning the campus, making posters and conducting seminars about the clean Kerala proramme. In the world environment day the students of the school plant a tree at their houses. They will look after it. They will mark the progress in their diary. Science club give a platform to support this programme.Awareness about eco- friendly objects.The children of the science club decided to wear only eco friendly dresses and uses eco friendly utensils as possible. Most of the clothes were made of cotton. They never use plastic carry bags and plastic tea cups. Most of them were trying to use ink pen instead of ball as it make more plastic waste in the form of refill and pen.7th National Teachers' Science Congress
Focal Theme: SCIENCE EDUCATION FOR SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENTSub Theme: I. Science and Technology Literacy for Sustainable Development
ICT Enabled Science Educationfor Sustainable Development
Now a days ICT is very common in our education system. There are plenty of computers, laptops, smart class rooms and other new technologies are common in our Schools . The present system of ICT in most of schools are dealing with the presentations, videos, and web based resources for the teaching learning process. These visuals give so many informations to the learner. But there is no response from the learner as it is one way communication. In the activity oriented constructive curriculum, the learner have to interact with the source through the medium. So our ICT learning process must be interactive especially in science. This paper presents the study about the ICT enabled Science Education in the secondary level using free interactive Soft wares and to acquire a sustainable development.This study dealing with the conceptual changes among the students by using some free interactive software s used in physics classes. The soft wares using here are Audacity for studying Sound, K-Techlab for Electricity and Electronics and Stellarium for Astronomy. There are some other softwares like, GeoGebra, G-Periodic, K-stars, Kalzium are used for science study. PhET interactive simulations is the other collection of animated programmes for science study. In the science classes prime importance should be given to the real laboratory experiments using lab materials. These soft wares should only be used after the experimentation or an extension of the experimentation.Audacity is a professional audio editing software. All basic components of sound and their properties can be easily understand using this software. We can make a sound of fixed frequency and can change its characteristics. Children can record their own sound and find out its properties and change its nature. So they can feel the characteristics of sound.The Stellarium software is the desktop sky with which we can see and study all things in the universe and it can be used as a real planetarium too. Students showed better performance in their studies after using these interactive soft-wares.Key words : ICT in Education, Audacity, Stellarium, Phet, KTechlab